Tired of cooking the same old boring dinner every night? Well, do we have something for you! This easy taco pie with corn chip crust is sure to liven up your dinnertime routine. Forget about all those complicated recipes in your cookbooks that require a million ingredients and never turn out right - this delicious dish only requires only a few simple ingredients and whips up in no time.
It's so tasty that everyone will come back asking for seconds!
We love tacos here in our house and our taco night got an upgrade with this easy taco pie! This has all the flavors you love but in a comforting pie. Sometimes we add tomato chunks and avocado to the top, but honestly it is delicious without toppings too.
The crust is made with corn chips and salsa which gives it an amazing flavor while keeping it easy to put together. There isn't much prep to get this ready for the oven so we love to make it when we have been running around and busy.
- Corn chips - You can use Fritos or store brand. We have made this easy taco pie with both.
- Cheese - I recommend either a Mexican 4 cheese blend or a cheddar blend.
- Ground beef - We use 85% or leaner ground beef. You can use a higher fat beef, but you will have more fat to drain.
- Taco seasoning - Use your favorite or you can use a homemade seasoning too!
- Salsa - You can use your favorite here, I do recommend using a thick and chunky tho.
- Sour cream - We use lime cilantro sour cream which is made with sour cream, lime, salt and cilantro. You can use plain sour cream if you prefer.
- Green chilis - Optional but we like the flavor they add.
Making the easy taco pie
We make this easy taco pie in layers. This helps all the flavors stand out instead of blending together.
This taco pie doesn't have a traditional crust, it has a crust made with delicious crushed corn chips and salsa! It is one of the easiest crusts you can make.
I like to crush the corn chips in a plastic storage bag. It makes for an easier cleanup! You can crush them in a bowl if you prefer.
They do not need to be crushed completely, I like to crush them with my hand when they are in the bag. It's actually best to have some slightly bigger pieces in the crust instead of all crushed into tiny crumbs.
You can use a rolling pin gently over the bag as well. If you are using a bowl to crush them, just use something like a cup or similar.
Add the crushed corn chips (also known as Fritos) to a bowl with the salsa. Stir well to combine, it will be slightly dry. You do not need more salsa, your easy taco pie will work out with a dry crust. You can add more salsa when serving if you like!
Push the crust down into a 9.5 inch pie dish as best as you can. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Assembling the layers
The easy taco pie has a few simple layers cheese, taco meat, lime cilantro sour cream (or regular sour cream) and more cheese.
First thing that you need to cook the beef in a skillet. Break it apart while cooking and cook until it is browned and cooked through.
Add in the water and seasoning mix. Stir well and cook for about 3 minutes over medium to medium low heat. If you are adding in green chilis, add them with the water and seasoning.
- Sprinkle about a cup of cheese evenly over the crust.
- Carefully place the meat mixture over top of the cheese layer and pack it down as good as you can.
- Spread the sour cream or lime cilantro sour cream over the top of the beef mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
Isn't this taco pie one of the easiest pies you have put together? If you don't have a 9.5 or 10 inch pie dish, you can use a casserole dish instead.
Once you have the layers together, you want to bake it so you can eat because at this point it's already smelling good.
Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-25 minutes. You will see the cheese will be perfectly melted on top.
Remove the taco pie from the oven and allow it to sit for about 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. The longer the better here for it to hold it's shape while cutting it. You can add your favorite toppings or enjoy it the way it is.
Frequently asked questions
You can use a 10 inch pie dish or a 2 quart casserole dish. This recipe will not fit in a standard 9 inch pie dish.
Yes you can but I recommend a whole milk Greek yogurt. It is a thicker consistency similar to sour cream.
If stored in the fridge properly, it will last about 3 days.
These are some things that are useful in making the easy taco pie. As an Amazon affiliate, we may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links. This is at no extra cost to you, thank you for your support!
- Pie dish - If you are using a pie dish you need to have a 9.5 or 10 inch. The 9 inch pie dish will not fit this the pie.
- Casserole dish - Either a 2 or a 2 and a half quart casserole will work in place of the pie dish.
- Mortar and pestle - This is helpful to have for many things in the kitchen! This is the one we have and it's double sided. If you use a mortar you can use course sea salt and crush it with the cilantro when making the sour cream mixture instead of plain salt.
Easy Taco Pie
- 9.5 inch pie dish can use 2 or 2½ quart casserole dish
- 3 cups corn chips Fritos or store brand
- ½ cup salsa thick and chunky
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1¼ ounce taco seasoning 1 packet
- ½ cup water
- 4 ounces green chilis optional but recommended
- 2 cups shredded cheese 4 cheese Mexican recommended
Cilantro lime sour cream - can use plain sour cream instead
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice juice from ½ a lime
- 12 cilantro leaves fresh
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cilantro Lime sour cream
- Cut the cilantro leaves into small pieces and use a spoon to smear them into the bowl to release the oil. We usually use a mortar and pestle to make this, but you don't need one.Mix the sour cream, lime juice and salt with the cilantro stirring well. Set aside.¾ cup sour cream, 1 Tablespoon lime juice, 12 cilantro leaves, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Crush the corn chips in a storage bag or a bowl until it is a mix of crumbs and some bigger pieces. It's best to have some bigger pieces in it for texture.3 cups corn chips
- Pour the crushed corn chips into a small bowl and add the salsa. Stir well to coat the corn chips with the salsa.½ cup salsa
- Press the crust mix into the pie dish as best as you can.
- Cook the ground beef and break it up while cooking so it's in small pieces. Cook until it is browned and no longer pink.2 pounds ground beef
- Add in the water, chilis and taco seasoning. Stir well and cook over medium low for about 3 minutes.1¼ ounce taco seasoning, ½ cup water, 4 ounces green chilis
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the crust. Pack the beef mixture into the pie dish over the cheese layer. Pack it down as best as you can.Spread the sour cream mixture evenly over the beef.Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top.2 cups shredded cheese
- Bake at 375° Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes. The cheese will be perfectly melted on top.
- Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting. The longer it sits the better it holds it's shape when you serve it.
- Optional - you can add your favorite taco toppings at the table or serve the it the way it is. It's delicious either way!