These parmesan crusted chicken breasts are easy to make, delicious and always juicy. They only take about 5 minutes to prep making them the perfect dinner recipe for busy nights.
When homemade dinners can be made quick and easy, it is a major win. These baked chicken breasts are quick, easy and delicious!
You can have them in the oven with very little prep and they take about 25 minutes to bake, depending on how thick they are. This is one of our go to recipes when I have a lot going on and do not have a lot of time to worry about what to cook.
Chicken breasts - I like to use Perdue for these, but you can use your favorite brand. See more about the chicken below.
Mayo - Use your favorite.
Parmesan cheese - Store bought grated cheese is best as it will hold up better when mixing it with the mayo. You can use fresh grated in it's place.
Bread crumbs - Panko gives the best crunch on top but you can use regular bread crumbs too.
Salt - If using seasoned breadcrumbs you probably do not need the salt. We use it when using plain panko breadcrumbs.
Garlic - Garlic powder is best to blend evenly with the mayo.
Parsley - If using seasoned breadcrumbs you can leave this out.
Optional - You can add a few dashes of cayenne pepper to the mayo mixture. If you like it spicy, add a bit more!
What are the best chicken breasts to use?
I know right now it is sometimes hard to get brands you like, trust me I have been trying for weeks to get Perdue chicken and finally got a package of legs! Money may be tight too and I understand that.
If you can, I do recommend trying to get either Perdue or an organic chicken with no hormones or antibiotics added for these parmesan crusted chicken breasts. They really do have a better texture when cooked and are more juicy then most store brand chicken.
If you do need to or prefer to get store brand, look to make sure that the breasts do not appear grainy. If you look at it and there are white lines going across them, they will likely turn out more tough.
For store brand, try to get the smaller sized ones. The larger ones are usually a bit more tough. When I get store brand, I usually use it in something like chicken chili or something I cut up into bite size pieces.
Making baked parmesan crusted chicken breasts
These take about 5 minutes to prep and are really easy! Take the chicken out of the fridge while you prep the coating.
If you are using seasoned breadcrumbs, you can use them as is without mixing any salt and parsley into them. This is for if you are using plain or plain panko.
Mix together the plain breadcrumbs with the salt and parsley. Stir well to combine and set aside.
In a separate small bowl mix the mayo, parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Stir well. If you are adding any cayenne pepper I would add it to the mayo mix.
Coating and baking the chicken
These easy baked parmesan crusted chicken breasts are only coated on the tops which is what makes them so easy! They still turn out so juicy and tender tho.
Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish, we use a 13x9 dish when we make them. If you have any pieces of chicken that are thicker then the others, flatten them down to the same thickness so they cook evenly. You can do this with a heavy sauce pot on a wood cutting board, you do not need any special equipment! Do not use a glass cutting board for this.
Evenly spread the mayo mixture over the top of all the chicken breasts. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the chicken.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook times may vary for many reasons including the size of the chicken and oven calibration. Be sure to check the temperature and do not rely on the time.
Remove from oven and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
The breadcrumbs are what makes them crusted (it gives them a slightly crispy topping.) You can make them coated with the mayo mixture without breadcrumbs but the texture and taste will not be the same.
Yes you can! You can use gluten free breadcrumbs in place of regular. Be sure your parmesan cheese is gluten free too (it usually is but check the labels to be sure.)
If properly stored in the fridge, it should last you 3-4 days after they are baked. They are delicious cut up on a sandwich with some mayo the day after you make them. An easy lunch idea!
What to serve with easy parmesan crusted chicken
Many side dishes go great with chicken! Here are a few choices that are easy to make with them.
- Mac and cheese - Homemade mac and cheese has an easy prep and can cook at the same oven temperature for about the same amount of time as the chicken.
- Bacon ranch pasta salad - This is great for days that you know you will be busy around dinner time. You can have the salad ready ahead of time and in the fridge.
- Loaded mashed potato casserole - This one takes a little bit of prep, but can be made the day before and baked with the chicken. Normally we cook this casserole at 375, but you can cook it at 400 degrees with the chicken.
- Corn on the cob in the Instant Pot - Easy or a quick vegetable when it is corn season!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
- 13x9 baking dish recommended
- 4 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs see notes
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon parsley dried, see notes
- ¼ teaspoon salt see notes
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge. If any pieces are a bit thicker then the rest, pound it down to the same thickness. Place in the baking dish.4 chicken breasts
- In a small prep bowl mix the mayo, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and cayenne pepper (if adding.) Spread evenly over the top of each chicken breast.¼ cup mayo, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- In a small prep bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, salt and parsley. If using seasoned breadcrumbs you can skip this, they are ready to use.Sprinkle evenly over the chicken breasts.⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs, ½ teaspoon parsley, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Bake at 400° for about 25 minutes, until the internal temperature reads 165°.
- Allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving and cutting.