This easy breakfast casserole is a great way to start your morning! It has the perfect combination of eggs, potatoes, spices, cheese, sausage and peppers.
We serve with toast and coffee, but it goes well with fruit and juice too. Coffee is a must have in our house in the morning! I will admit that I am not a fully functioning human without it.
Cast iron makes this a one dish meal and is my favorite for making this, but it isn't required. You will want a well seasoned pan and if it is fairly new, be sure to use an extra tablespoon of oil when cooking the vegetables.
I like to have this scrubbing pad made for cast iron on hand for tough jobs and you shouldn't need it for this dish, but there is always a chance of eggs sticking. This is not a sponge to use all the time, but it is perfect in a pinch if you have a tough mess.
For this easy breakfast casserole with sausage, I only have ever needed to use the brush to clean my pan. I do like to be prepared with the scrubbing pad tho just in case there was ever a big mess!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it helps enhance the flavors but more importantly it partially cooks them before baking. When using fresh potatoes, they would need more liquid and cook time if you did not sauté them first. You would have crunchy potatoes.
Yes you can use either one. Fresh potatoes are recommended and do require a pan fry first. Frozen hashbrowns can be used instead and added right before the eggs.
This easy breakfast casserole cannot be prepared ahead of time to be cooked later. The potatoes do require a pan fry first and the onions are recommended to be fried first as well.
No you do not! You can pan fry the vegetables and add them to the eggs in a lightly greased baking dish. We use cast iron for the ease of one dish.
The eggs will be set and appear firm. There will be no runny egg on top and the temperature should be about 160.
Other great breakfast recipes
A breakfast bake is not the only thing we like here, we do eat a lot of pancakes as well!
Easy Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- 3 cups diced potatoes about 1¼ pound before cutting
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion about ½ cup chopped
- 3 cloves garlic about 1 tablespoon minced
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped
- 10 breakfast sausage links sliced into bites sized pieces
- 9 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ tablespoon chives
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shredded cheese cheddar recommended
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite size pieces - about 1 inch cubes. Rinse and allow them to sit in cold water for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and chives. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- In a heated pan add olive oil, potatoes and onions. Sauté for 5 minutes before adding the garlic, peppers and sausage. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. See notes
- Add in the egg mix and stir well. Place in center of oven and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes until eggs are completely set.