This easy chicken tortellini soup recipe is the perfect soup for a busy night! It comes together quickly and is the ultimate comfort food.
This tortellini soup is quick to make and is pretty flexible with ingredients. You can change out many things to your liking, we have over the years. This is our favorite way of making it and I am sure you will love it too!
We use spinach and sometimes we add mushrooms (not listed in the ingredients here), but you can leave them out.
Heavy cream adds to the flavor and a little bit to the texture, but it too can be left out if you choose. This is not a thick soup, the cream is for flavor not thickening. If you would like it thicker, you can add corn starch to the heavy cream before adding it slowly to the soup. We do not add any thickening agent here.
For this chicken tortellini soup we use frozen cheese tortellini. You can use your favorite!
We use a large stockpot to make this soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is best to cook it first, but you don't have to if you are using boneless chicken thighs. They are less likely to overcook in the broth where chicken breasts will get tough if over cooked.
If using chicken thighs, I would cut them into bite size pieces and sauté them with the onions before adding the broth.
Tortellini will float to the top when it is cooked. You will also see a difference in color and texture - they will be a little lighter and look a little puffy. How cooked you like them is a personal preference - some like the slightly firm while others like them very soft.
This chicken tortellini soup with spinach is best served with a side of rolls or even crackers. We like to serve cheese garlic biscuits with it most of the time, but sometimes we make dinner rolls as well. Biscuits are quick so they work out perfectly!
Yes! You may want to leave out the spinach or maybe you want to add mushrooms. We have made this with so many vegetables from zucchini to even adding asparagus! How it is written is how we enjoy it best.
Yes you can substitute or even leave it out if you choose. Since it is just for flavor and not to thicken, you can use half and half or even milk. Cream is the best tho. If you prefer not to add it, that is ok as well.
Other great soup recipes
If you like our chicken tortellini soup with spinach, you may also enjoy these easy and delicious soups!
Chicken Tortellini Soup With Spinach
- 5 quart pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced 2-3 cloves
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium or unsalted
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1½ teaspoon salt may need to adjust see notes
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or bite sized
- 19 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces frozen spinach about 2 cups
- Chop the onions, slice the carrots and celery, and mince the garlic.
- In a large soup pot add olive oil, onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for about 5 minutes before stirring in the garlic. Cook for another 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth. Stir in the parsley, basil and salt. Cook for about 15 minutes until the veggies are softened.
- Add in the tortellini and cook over medium to medium high heat until the tortellini floats to the top.
- As soon as the tortellini floats to the top add in the spinach and heavy cream. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes.