One thing our household likes (tho not the best for you) is kielbasa. Instant Pot kielbasa soup at least adds some healthiness to an otherwise unhealthy meat. I mean it has spinach in it!
How the soup got started
A few years back I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed and I had come across a recipe for kielbasa soup. Oh my I had to make it! I made it once and I had bookmarked it - it was delicious. One time I went to go back to make it again and it was a dead link. I was devastated!
Not to fear because I remembered some of the ingredients. I had the basic idea which meant I could create one with out a problem. At the store I goofed and got two different cans of beans. I am pretty certain it was cannellini beans in the original and so I went to get them and accidentally got one can and a can of pinto beans. Apparently there was a can of pinto beans hanging out there behind the cannellini beans. Oh well, why not try it?
It was a success! Another favorite is Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup.
How to make Instant Pot kielbasa soup
Slice the kielbasa into thin slices and then quarter those slices. In the picture we had used more then one package of kielbasa, but it is a bit salty and we recommend using just one package.
Chop up your onion and mince the garlic. Turn your Instant Pot on to saute and wait for it to say hot. Add the kielbasa and stir often. Cook for about 4 minutes. Remove the kielbasa quickly and add 1 tablespoon olive oil along with the chopped onion. Saute the onion for about 4 minutes. Next add in the garlic, thyme and Italian seasoning. Saute for another minute stirring constantly.
Add a little bit of the chicken broth to deglaze the pot and hit cancel. Now add in the pasta and the rest of the chicken broth. Stir to mix up. Place lid on your Instant Pot and close the vent. Hit Pressure Cook/manual (some models have pressure cook in the lower right side and some have manual) and set to 4 minutes. Ours took a little over 20 minutes to build up pressure.
When the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release and wait for the pin to drop. Add in the cans of pinto and cannellini beans, juice and all. Next add in the whole bag of spinach and the kielbasa. Stir well to mix together. Place the lid back on and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
We enjoy it with parmesan cheese on top, but I bet mozzarella on it would be amazing too. Cheesy garlic biscuits are always a nice treat to go with it as well.
As a note:
This is almost a pasta dish, there will not be a lot of liquid in it. The leftovers will not have any liquid left but are amazing 🙂 Also we used a 6 quart Instant Pot for this. You shouldn't have a problem with an 8 quart - but it hasn't been tested in it. You will not be able to make this as written in a 3 quart.
We also like to use the Ronzoni Garden Delight Veggie pasta. It adds another serving of vegetables to dinner.
Instant Pot Kielbasa Soup
- 14 ounces kielbasa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 16 ounces vegetable rotini pasta
- 15.5 ounces can cannellini beans
- 15.5 ounces can pinto beans
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- Slice the kielbasa into thin slices and then quarter the slices. Chop the onion and mince your garlic cloves.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add in the kielbasa and cook for about 4 minutes. Quickly remove the kielbasa and set aside.
- Add in olive oil and onion. Cook for about 4 minutes. Now add in the garlic, thyme and Italian seasoning. Stirring constantly, cook for about 1 minute.
- Add just a little bit of the chicken broth to deglaze your pot. Hit cancel.
- Add in the pasta and the rest of the chicken broth. Stir to mix and place lid on. Turn the vent to seal. Hit pressure cook/manual and set for 4 minutes. Ours took about 20 minutes to build pressure.
- When done, do a manual quick release. It will take about 2 minutes. Once the pin drops, carefully remove lid. Add in the cannellini and pinto beans, juice and all. Also add in the spinach and kielbasa. Stir to combine and put lid back on. Let sit for a couple of minutes to warm everything up.Enjoy!