Looking for a delicious, quick, and satisfying meal that will please the whole family? This ground beef and rice recipe is perfect! Whether you are looking for a comforting weeknight dinner or a hearty lunch, this meal is perfect. And it is made in one pan for an easy cleanup!
It combines the flavors of ground beef with fluffy rice, pasta and a simple selection of spices. Easy to make and delicious, this ground beef and rice dish will be a go to on a busy day!
The family used to always like the Rice a Roni beef rice (we still like it sometimes.) This is a homemade version and similar, but you don’t have to sauté the rice first. You can, but we make this a simple to throw together in one pan kind of meal.
You can mix up different veggies to add to the ground beef and rice dish if you want. We prefer to just add the carrot and mushrooms, but use your favorites here! Broccoli, peas, or even peppers can go good in it.
You will love how easy it is to make and how delicious it is, the ultimate meal for a busy weeknight!
We keep the ingredients simple here for this ground beef and rice recipe.
Ground beef – It is best to use a leaner ground beef here as you are cooking it all in one pot. If you use 85% or lower, you will likely need to drain the excess fat before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Rice – I prefer either Jasmine for this recipe, but you can use plain white rice or basmati if you prefer.
Pasta – Vermicelli or thin pasta is best.
Broth – You can use store bought or homemade here. You may need to adjust the amount of salt depending on the broth you use. I also like to make this after making our slow cooker cheesesteaks or even after a pot roast. There is always left over juice from them to use and this is perfect for it!
Soy sauce – I prefer liquid aminos over soy sauce in this ground beef and rice recipe, but there isn’t much of a difference in taste so you can use the one you like best.
Mushrooms – optional, but recommended. You can mix up the veggies and take the mushrooms out if you don’t like them.
Carrot – I do recommend you keep the carrot in the rice, even if you mix up the vegetables.
Minced onion – Dried minced onion is best here.
Salt – Adjust to taste. The amount of salt you use will vary depending on the broth you use and the amount of salt in the broth.
Making Ground Beef and Rice
This recipe for ground beef and rice is super simple to make. We do not sauté the rice and pasta first like you do when making Rice A Roni, but you can. This is a dish that we keep as simple as possible for those busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time.
You want to use a large frying pan with a lid. It will fit in a 3 quart, but I prefer to use my 5 quart for extra stirring room. I can be messy haha! Not even kidding there.
This is made in a couple simple steps:
- Wash and cut the mushrooms. Wash, peel and grate the carrot. Set aside until ready for them.
- Measure the spices out into a small prep bowl so they are ready when you need them.
- Rinse the rice for a minute or two in a small strainer (optional but recommended) and allow to drain for a couple minutes while the beef is cooking. DO NOT rinse the rice too early, I do it right before starting the ground beef.
- Break up the pasta into small pieces and set aside.
- Start by cooking the ground beef until it is mostly browned, it can be slightly pink still. It will be cooking in with the rice as well.
- Drain excess grease if your ground beef had a higher fat content.
- Add in the broth, veggies, rice, pasta and spices. Mix together well.
- Bring to a slight boil and reduce heat to medium low/low and cover. You want it to be at a low simmer with the lid on, stoves vary so adjust the burner as needed.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until rice is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, stir and serve!
You can experiment with different veggies in this ground beef and rice recipe. We keep it simple with carrots and mushrooms, but have fun and add your favorites. By adding the veggies in the dish, you make this a complete one dish meal that is super simple for a busy weeknight.
Most vegetables (raw or frozen) you would add in with the rice and cook them all together. If the vegetables are already cooked, add them in at the end of the cook time.
Can I make this gluten free?
Yes this recipe for ground beef and rice can be made gluten free! Either omit the pasta and add a quarter cup more rice in place or use a gluten free pasta. We also keep the spices simple here so there shouldn’t be a need to adjust to them.
Liquid aminos are preferred here over soy sauce and this is written using them, but you will need to be sure to use them instead of soy sauce. Soy sauce is not gluten free, but the liquid aminos are (double check before using.)
Easy Homemade Ground Beef and Rice
- 5 quart pan
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons liquid aminos or soy sauce, see notes
- 2-3 mushrooms white button or baby bella
- 1 carrot
- 1¾ cup Jasmine or white rice see notes
- 1 ounce thin spaghetti noodles
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste, see notes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the mushrooms and grate the carrot.Break the spaghetti noodles into pieces around 1 inch long.Rinse the rice in a small strainer and drain (optional but recommended.)2-3 mushrooms, 1 carrot, 1 ounce thin spaghetti noodles, 1¾ cup Jasmine or white rice
- In the skillet, cook the ground beef while breaking it up for about 5 minutes and carefully remove the fat. It may still be pink which is ok.1 pound lean ground beef
- Add in the broth, aminos (or soy sauce), rinsed rice, cut up pasta, chopped mushrooms, grated carrot, garlic powder, dried onion, salt and pepper. Stir well.4 cups beef broth, 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 Tablespoons liquid aminos
- Bring the ingredients to a rapid simmer (almost boiling) stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce heat to low/medium low – adjust temperature so it is a low simmer.Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes covered or until rice is tender.
- Allow the ground beef and rice to sit for about 5 minutes before serving, enjoy!