Ever need to throw something together quickly? This is what I did with these cheesy garlic biscuits and the family asks for them now ever since. I was making a soup and got caught up in things (I lose track of time a lot) so I didn't have time to make dinner rolls. We really love rolls with soup so I found a way to whip together something that would go with soup and was quicker to make.
I do make dinner rolls a lot still when I have time, but when I don't I make this instead! They are easy to make and you probably have the ingredients right now. No yeast so they don't have to rise.
Making cheesy garlic biscuits
You can have these together and on the table in about 15 minutes from start to finish.
First thing is to be sure that your butter is cold. I have made these with softened butter and I have made them with cold butter. They both are good, but cold butter creates the best texture for a biscuit.
Combine dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into slices and add it to the bowl. Using a pastry cutter/dough blender, mix the butter well into the flour mix. You can use a fork to combine as well, but the cutter is recommended if you have one. The texture of the biscuits will be better and it will be easier for you to combine.
Mix in the cheese and stir. Next mix in the milk. Spoon the dough out on a baking tray in 12 equal amounts.
Take your butter for your topping along with the garlic powder and place them into a microwave dish. Melt the butter - do 15 second intervals. Take your basting brush and gently dab the biscuits with the butter/garlic topping. A little on each one is all you need.
Bake at 450 for about 7-10 minutes, depending on your oven. Check them at 7 minutes. They should be starting to get a little golden and the tops should have some darker spots forming.
You might even enjoy them just a little darker, so don't throw away if they are darker! This is just where my family likes them at.
I have made these with several dishes now, anytime I would make rolls but don't have the time. Or if the family asks for them with dinner. Some of the things we served these cheesy garlic biscuits with include:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Prime Rib (they bake while the roast is resting)
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
What will you serve these with?
Cheesy Garlic Biscuits
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter cold
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded cheese cheddar is recommended
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450°Combine dry ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Cut the butter into slices and mix it into the flour mix with a pastry cutter. Use a fork if you do not have a cutter. Mix well so there are no big lumps of butter.
- Add in the cheese and toss to mix. Mix in the milk and it should be a thick dough. If it is still a little dry then add more milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Spoon onto a baking sheet in 12 even amounts.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder onto the the butter for topping and melt butter in microwave.
- Using a basting brush, gently dab the melted butter/garlic mix on top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 450°F for 7-10 minutes. They should be getting a golden color and the tops should be getting some darker points on top.