For all the chocolate lovers out there, chocolate whipped cream makes the ultimate topping to a dessert! I know there are a lot of us out there. I mean it is chocolate 🙂
I only make homemade whipped cream here so I like to experiment with different flavors. Some are amazing and some are not so much. This one here will definitely be one you will make when serving dessert to guests tho, it is so simple and delicious.
Pumpkin whipped cream is the other one we really like to make for the fall. But chocolate, oh that can be any time of the year! It will go good on everything from chocolate hazelnut latte to pumpkin pie. We have even eaten it on pumpkin cheesecake.
How to Make Chocolate Whipped Cream
This is so easy, even if you have never made whipped cream before. I highly recommend using a stand mixer for making it, they come in handy for many recipes. Take the mixing bowl and your whisk attachment and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes or in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes.
Once you are ready to make, take the bowl out of the fridge/freezer and add all ingredients at once. How much cocoa powder you add depends on taste, we do a tablespoon but if you just want a subtle hint of flavor then go with a 1/2.
Turn the mixer onto 4 for about 30 seconds and turn off to scrape the sides down (the chocolate will come up the sides a little.) Turn back on and whip on 6 until stiff peaks just start to form. Remember there is a quick line between whipped cream and butter (ask me how I know haha!)
See how it is holding it’s shape? I know there are some funky shapes there but I wanted to make sure you see how firm it should be but not any firmer for the perfect consistency. It takes about 2 minutes but keep an eye on it or you will have chocolate butter – hmm doesn’t sound that bad.
That is it, it is done. Store leftovers in the fridge for no longer then a week.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- Recommended but not required if in a hurry – place mixer bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes or fridge for 20-30 minutes to get it nice and cold.
- Once ready to make, remove bowl and whisk from freezer (or fridge) and add all ingredients into the bowl.
- Start the mixer on 4 for about 30 seconds and turn off to scrape the chocolate powder down into the mix (it will come up the sides slightly)
- Start mixer again and put it on 6 until stiff peaks just start to form. It should take about 2 minutes but keep a close eye on it. Once the peaks form, it is ready to serve – enjoy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for no more then a week.