I usually cook a huge turkey for Thanksgiving Day each year. When I say huge, I mean about 22 pounds for around 5-6 people. Excessive, I know... But you know what? I have a lot of extra to use up - tho I do freeze some and I make bone broth from the bones as well. One of the things I make is the leftover turkey casserole. It is one way to use up everything you made on Thanksgiving (or any day you are cooking a turkey and stuffing meal.)
This is a very flexible meal and is based around what you have leftover. You can add things too and be creative, this is just how we do it. It is similar to a pot pie except you will be using stuffing and mashed potatoes as the crust - sounds delicious, right?
Making the Leftover Turkey Casserole
This is one of the easiest things you can throw together. Lightly grease the bottom of a dish. We used a 9.5 inch pie dish, it just fits in this size dish.
You start with leftover stuffing (or make more if you don't have enough leftover.) Pack it down into the pie dish as best as you can. Pack it on the bottom and up the sides, this is your "crust."
We always have a mix of vegetables on Thanksgiving so we had enough leftover. If you don't have about 2 and a half cups of vegetables left, you can use a 12 ounce bag of frozen vegetables - we like mixed or at least peas and carrots.
If using frozen vegetables, heat them with a couple tablespoons of water in a sauce pan before adding other ingredients so they are no longer frozen. Add in the turkey, gravy, minced onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Pour it into the dish over your stuffing crust.
See how close it looks to spilling over? It fits, just barely! Now spread the leftover mashed potatoes over the top - or make more if you need to. Cut the butter into small slivers and place them on top of the potatoes.
Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes. You want the gravy to be a little bubbly and the butter on top to be melted. Since it is all cooked before going in the oven, you really need to just heat it through. We used red skin potatoes and I kept the skins on as you can see in the picture below.
Do you have a favorite leftover turkey casserole?
Leftover Turkey Casserole
- 4 cups stuffing loosely measured - not packed in the cup
- 3 cups turkey cooked
- 2 cups gravy
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 12 oz vegetables mixed are recommended
- 1 tbsp minced onion dried
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp butter sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 375°FIn a 9.5 inch pie dish firmly pack down the stuffing on the bottom and up the sides. This is your crust.
- In a medium saucepan combine vegetables, gravy, turkey, minced onion and garlic powder. Heat over medium heat until it is heated through.Pour into the stuffing crust.
- Carefully spread the mashed potatoes over the top. This will be full but just fits into the 9.5 dish. Put the butter slices on the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes - until it is heated through. Gravy will be a little bubbly and the butter on top will be melted.