Last night we decided to try something different. With a ton of fresh veggies sitting on my counter, I had to be creative. Everybody is getting tired of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers! I have made cucumber tomato salad before, but usually with Italian dressing.
I have to admit that I was a bit concerned about everybody liking this salad. It has some fresh herbs in it and I really wasn’t sure if they would all go well together. The salad was a last minute thing and not planned as a recipe to share originally. I did take my pictures just in case it was share worthy right before I brought it to the table where the spaghetti dinner awaited us. Maybe I will make this with the grilled zucchini too. There are a lot of things this salad will pair well with.
There it sat on the table with everybody looking at it like do I try it? I tried it first and slowly everybody else took a bite. They all decided they wanted more – it is definitely a keeper! Usually with spaghetti, there is nobody going back for seconds on any kind of vegetable.
All of these herbs are ones we have in our garden so we used fresh. I wanted something simple and something I had everything for since it was a last minute idea.
Making Cucumber Tomato Salad
This is made with all simple ingredients. You will need:
- mint leaves
- basil leaves
- lavender leaves
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
Grab your serving dish (no need to dirty extra dishes here.) I love the pyrex set for things like this – simple, glass (no BPA) and you can go from serve to fridge. Place the chopped garlic and chopped herbs in the serving dish. Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Let it sit on the counter for at least 15 minutes to get the flavor of the herbs into the oil/vinegar mix.
The purple in the picture is basil. We have purple and green basil..
Slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then slice them. Chop your tomatoes into bite size pieces. Add the cucumbers and tomatoes to the oil, vinegar and herb mix. Allow to sit on the counter while you are cooking the rest of dinner.
Do not refrigerate before serving, nothing in it needs to be refrigerated right away. Refrigeration will make the tomatoes lose some of their flavor, but you will want to put leftovers in the fridge if there is any.
What is your favorite summer time salad?
Cucumber Tomato Salad with Fresh Herbs
- 1 cucumber or 2 if using pickling cucumbers
- 2 tomatoes medium sized
- 8-10 mint leaves sweet or spearmint
- 8-10 lavender leaves just the leaves
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp vinegar red wine
- Chop up your herbs and garlic. Put them into the serving dish. Add in the olive oil and vinegar. Allow to sit on the counter for at least 15 minutes so they herbs flavor your oil and vinegar.
- Slice cucumber in half lengthwise, then into bite size slices. Chop your tomatoes into bite size pieces.Add to the oil and vinegar mix, toss to coat.
- Allow this to sit on the counter or table while preparing the rest of dinner to let the herbs flavor the veggies. Do not refrigerate before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers after serving.