These juicy grilled chicken breasts are so easy to make and the flavor is amazing! The sauce you cook them in is a few simple ingredients that you probably already have like honey, mustard and vinegar along with a couple spices.
Years ago I always dreaded making chicken breasts, I am not committing to disclosing how many years ago as that will show my age faster then the grey hairs I have. Back then in the beginning of my cooking adventures, they always turned out dry and blah. Have you ever had chicken that turned out dry, rubbery or just off in texture? I am pretty sure I am not the only one!
Fortunately I overcame that fear years ago and haven't served a dry rubbery chicken in a long time.
Garlic sauce is great on grilled chicken breasts
Why garlic? For one thing, it adds a great flavor to meats. We love garlic here and it is good for you too.
This homemade sauce came about one day when I went to use my favorite garlic sauce that we got from a garlic festival but to my surprise, we had none left. This was my go to, my always tender grilled chicken so I was devastated! Tho we love this sauce, you can only buy it on Amazon, their website and local festivals so it was not an option for that night. We still love this sauce too and keep it in the house mainly for chicken - it is great on a whole chicken. No worries, I did buy more haha!
I did not recreate the sauce exactly, but it inspired me to create something similar. It had to be easy with ingredients we always have in the house.
I do recommend putting the garlic sauce together about 20 minutes before putting it on the chicken to let the sauce soak up the garlic flavor. Also let the chicken breasts sit out for about 15 minutes coated with the sauce before grilling.
Frequently asked questions:
Like just about everything I make, there can be substitutions with these grilled chicken breasts.
Can I use any other vinegars?
Yes you can use your favorite vinegar or one you have on hand. We have used red wine vinegar and also pomegranate infused red wine vinegar.
Does it have to be olive oil?
No, use your favorite oil here. We prefer olive oil here, but use your favorite just be mindful of smoke points for your oil.
Can I use garlic powder?
Yes you can, but we do recommend fresh garlic if you have it.
Other grilled dishes you might enjoy:
- Juicy grilled pork chops
- Grilled boneless chicken thighs
- Quick and easy grilled ribs
- Grilled NY strip steaks
Grilled Chicken Breasts with Garlic Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 dashes black pepper or more if desired
- ½ tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Mix together the garlic, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, spicy mustard and honey. See notes
- Remove chicken from the fridge and dip each piece in the garlic sauce.Fully coat each piece and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the grill on and preheat it to about 425° F while the chicken is sitting out.
- Place the chicken on the heated grill plates with direct heat. Close the lid and cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over, close the lid and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Chicken should be 165 when coming off the grill. Once your chicken is at temperature, remove from the grill and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. See notes